WHAT WE MEAN BY WISDOM
Wisdom is deep insight serving our ability to generate long-term broad benefits. It usually derives from cumulative experience, well-considered knowledge, compassionate understanding and/or transcendent realization.
Wisdom can be individual and/or collective, human and/or natural. It expands the exercise of intelligence to embrace greater realities, increasing our ability to take into account what needs to be taken into account for long-term broad benefits.
Among the most potent sources of collective wisdom are
- the cumulative experience of nature and humanity,
- ongoing feedback from people and reality,
- expanded spiritual and systemic awareness,
- liberating our full human capacities and caring, and
- generative interactions among diverse people and perspectives.
Wise democracy nurtures and utilizes all these sources, with a particular focus on the last.